When To Replace Your Sunscreen


In my last post, I shared with you why wearing sunscreen is so important. Few years ago, when I really started to understand importance of sunscreen, I always wondered how long can I keep using it before it becomes ineffective? Most of my moisturizers and foundations that I currently use include SPF in them, which safes me time in my skin care routine. I personally, use up all of my creams, lotions with SPF within a year. I can't imagine going outside without protecting my skin first. After some research, I educated myself on sunscreen effectiveness.

Sunscreens are designed to remain at original strength for up to three years. This means that you can use leftover sunscreen from one year to the next.

Some sunscreens include an expiration date — a date indicating when they're no longer effective. Discard sunscreen that is past its expiration date. If you buy sunscreen that doesn't have an expiration date, write the date of purchase on the bottle. Also, discard sunscreen that is more than 3 years old, has been exposed to high temperatures or has obvious changes in color or consistency.

What happens is, when sunscreens expire, the chemicals begin to degrade and separate, making them less effective. Eventually, old sunscreens will crystallize, separate, and may have a foul odor. Always check the expiration date on sunscreen before you purchase it. Keep in mind that extreme temperatures can also make sunscreen become less effective, despite its expiration date.

Keep in mind, however, that if you use sunscreen generously and frequently, a bottle of sunscreen shouldn't last from one year to the next.

P.S.: By the way, product featured in my picture above is one of my favorite sunscreens. Stay tune for another great post, where I'll share with you "My Favorite Current Sunscreens".

❤ Was this post helpful? Share in the comments section below! ❤

Labels: ,